Monday, May 07, 2007

Hide me under a bushel

I've been working and it has been good. It isn't a lot of money, but it gets me out of the house and with people, which is what I really needed anyway.

But the reality of approaching unemployment looms large: my contract is up on June 2nd. And I have nothing coming down the pipes. I have a few people looking out for me. Which is a fine feeling, believe you me. However, I am still anxious. I want something to hold onto. Some concrete leads to stave off this nervousness.

I don't even know why I feel so uneasy. There are people who are in much worse situations than I am. I could easily get a job at a coffee shop in the lean times while I search for something else. I have enough money to see me through to the fall even after that horrific cheque I had to write to the government at tax time. It all works out.

Still, this feeling of dread is reminiscent of last year this time when I was facing impending doom and homelessness. At least I had a job. This year I have a home (though, oddly enough no roommate, again), but no job. It would be nice to have both. At the same time.

Enough drama for today. I leave you with a quote from one of our kids, "I know for sure if you knocked on God's door, he would open it and say 'Come on in; stay for a while.'"

Actually, I will leave you with this quote from another kid, "God is not purple. And he doesn't smell like fish."


~g. mango spies with her little eye, something that is purple!