Monday, August 04, 2008

The Two Plagues

I've been off the Little Island (LI), and on the Big Island for about a week now. And I gotta say, the six hours of public transit and ferries trips it took to get here notwithstanding, it sure has been a great surprise vacation. And, of course, I have neglected to tell you, my deserving public, about it. I intend to remedy that right now.

It all started on a dark and stormy night sometime last week on the LI. The air was still, the moon was shining, and twenty-five people in the surrounding cabins were violently vomiting the night away. So the next day all who were able to stand bleached the whole place down, and the rest of us struggled mightily to call out "Unclean, unclean," as we ran to the toilettes and begged at the city gates. Then they evacuated half of the island and sent us all home to either recuperate and/or avoid disease and/or infect our loved ones.

But as I have hired my apartment out to a stranger, and had planned to be on the Big Island for the long weekend anyway, I decided to skip Vancouver and head straight to Victoria (enter the six hours of public transit, plus a ride from Mama Bear et al, and a pick up from the Intern on the other side).

The Intern and I had great plans for our week off. Which is why, I'm sure, it rained all week long. At least it wasn't locusts.


~g.mango, what's your twenty?