Tuesday, November 09, 2004

All worked up and no place to go

Instead of working out the tab for Fountain of Wayne's Hey Julie (which is what I want to do), I'm listening to it on continuous loop, changing the "Julie" part in my head to some other name for fun everytime it goes around, pouring over my Chicago Manual of Style, brushing up on comma usage (which is what I want to avoid at all costs).

I wouldn't usually listen to a band like Fountain of Wayne, but my sister J introduced me to this song. And coincidently, it's a I-hate-work kind of song. And I may just end up hating work today.

The author of my book wants me to edit another piece she's doing. And I know I said I don't want to be a translator when I grow up, but I wouldn't mind editing her franglais. Even though it takes half the time to just translate the French myself. But I admire her desire to master English (being a lover of languages moi-même). I shall give her a quote and perhaps this will be the start of a beautiful supplementary income. :)

Working all day for a mean little man
With a clip-on tie and a rub-on tan
He's got me running 'round the office like a dog around a track
But when I get home,
You're always there to rub my back

Hey Julie/Janine/Jimmy/Bartholomew/Herod,
Look what they're doing to me
Trying to trip me up
Trying to wear me down
Julie/Judas/Robert/Jesus, I swear, it's so hard to bear it
And I'd never make it through without you around. . .

~ g. mango: just say no to work

p.s. something's up with my posts of yore link. . . will fix that as soon as i figure out what's gone wrong.