Friday, December 17, 2004

Dressed to um, you know, impress. Or something.

When I came into this world my proud parents put me in pretty pink dresses. And though I was perfectly happy in those pretty pink dresses, I was twice as happy to go climb trees and play cops and robbers. To my parents defence, they quickly adapted to their little tomboy and bought me trucks and little green army men. And they were very understanding that one time when I got in SO MUCH TROUBLE at school for not changing back into my uniform (white shirt, blue cover-all type dress) after gym, 'cause I liked wearing shorts better. Because they are cool like that. But I think they are a bit disappointed that I never really grew out of that stage.

EXHIBIT A


When my dad saw me yesterday morning, dressed in baggy pants and a slightly wrinkled dress shirt, and generally ready for another self-declared casual weekday at work, he turned to my mom and with mock disappointment said, "You know, there was once a time when Green Mango used to dress like a girl.'

To which my mom, ever the realist, said, "No, there was a time when Green Mango used to look like someone who desperately wanted to get out of her clothes."

~ g. mango will wear a dress to your wedding. and a slightly wrinkled pink dress shirt to work.