Saturday, January 08, 2005

Thai a yellow ribbon

Earlier this week, Mango Mom decided that since I have Fridays off, Fridays would now be my night to cook dinner. So yesterday, even though I wasn't gonna be home to eat dinner, I took it upon myself to wow the crowd by whipping up some Pad Thai. Unfortunately, we were out of almost everything you need to make Pad Thai. And I wasn't about to drive a whole five mintes to go to Big Land Farms. So I improvised.

We didn't have any Pad Thai noodles. So I just used three minute chowmein noodles. And we didn't have any fish sauce, so I used oyster sauce. And we didn't have any frozen shrimp, so I was gonna used dried shrimp ('cause that works too), but we didn't have that either. And I couldn't use peanuts 'cause S. went and got herself all allergic to them, so I decided to use her almond butter substitute-peanut-product-wannabe thing. But then an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and told me that almond butter is nasty, so I conveniently forgot to put it in. And we didn't have any red peppers, so I was gonna use green peppers. But then the angel came back and said "That thing I said about almond butter? Same thing goes for green peppers." So no peppers.

My sisters, noting that I was in substitution heaven, opted to call my creation Faux Thai instead of Pad Thai. I think that is an accurate description.

And judging from the rave reviews that I got when I came in today, that had to be the best Faux Thai they have ever had in their lives. And seeing as it was my first time trying my hand at the Thai formerly known as Pad, it was definitely the best I've ever made.

~g. mango is half asian, half sensation!