Friday, January 07, 2005

The Wet Coast

All right, enough with the procrastination suspense, here's the 411 about Vancouver.

WHO

The ever nomadic Green Mango: World Saver Extraordinaire.

WHAT

The Big Move and the Dream Job. Capitalized not for effect, but for, umm, you know. . . good measure?

WHERE

Vancouver. Specifically East Van. My neighbourhood is like Kensington Market meets the Danforth meets Little Portugal meets Church and Wellesley meets Tent City meets Flemingdon Park. I love it. But it can be a little rough. Good thing I'm an Urban Warrior Princess.

WHY

Short answer: Child and youth work.

Long answer: The acquisition of the aforementioned, and afore-arbitrarily-capitalized Dream Job. I am returning to work with the fine folks at UrbanPromise. Sound familiar? I talked about it here. I'll be developing, launching, and directing a new outreach program for the neighbourhood kids from grades 5 to 8.

For those of you know me in real life, this is similar to what I did when I was in Vancouver last time. But more so. And now I get paid. (YAY!). But not a lot. (BOO!). But I can raise support to supplement my income, so I can buy food, and stuff. (YAY!). But I hate asking for money. (BOO!).

No I don't. Please send me money. You'll even get a tax receipt.

Even though this is not the most lucrative venture, it is, in fact, still a dream come true. It's true that my new hood is not the most wonderful of places all the time. There is a high drug presence, and lots of other stuff that goes along with a high drug presence. But I get to work with fantastic kids and their families, making a difference in the community, and doing my part to save the world. And having already worked with the kids, staff, and volunteers twice before, I can safely say that I already (and officially) love their guts!

WHEN

My first day of work is Jan 31st.

I fly out at way-too-early o'clock on Jan 27th. And arrive just in time to be jetlagged for weeks. You'd think with all my travels around the world (read: the Western Hemisphere) that my body would finally clue in that I am a chronic vagabond, and would stop continually forcing extreme jetlagged-related pain upon me. You would think.

~ vote g. mango for best urban warrior mango with a penchant for aBitRary capitalization