Thursday, December 23, 2004

The Revolution starts here!

I do not like dressing up. I don't mind wearing something presentable and/or professional for important events like weddings, anniversaries, and funerals. And occasionally I may even wear a skirt in the summer. But I absolutely loathe having to get dressed to the nines everytime I go to work, or church, or any of those everyday type things.

So I don't.

I stopped dressing up for church when I hit 13. Which got me into a lot of trouble with my Dad. But he eventually stopped threatening to leave me home from church (which I thought was weird punishment, since most 13 year olds would have rejoiced at the thought of not having to rouse themselves on Sunday morning to sit through a three-point exegesis of 1 Corinthians 13:4-13). Anyway, so I've had long-lived liberation from church clothes. And since I was 18, and started working in environments that require business casual attire, I've been pushing the business casual envelope as far as it can possibly be pushed. That did not always work well, but none of my bosses have ever threatened to leave me home from church. I have tried to stay within reasonable limits.

This week, I decided that the whole business casual thing, even with all of this envelope pushing, was not working for me. So despite the fact that I have only ever seen one person in this whole office wear jeans ever, I declared it Casual Everyday. I thought I'd start the week off with a big, casual bang and wore jeans to work on Monday. And then on Tuesday the trend was catching on. People who I have never seen wear jeans at all since I got here were sporting their 501s. Yesterday, more folks were decked out in denim. And today all but two people are in jeans. And one of the denim-less wonders is wearing velour sweat pants.

Take that business casual.

~g. mango is also responsible for the revolutions that brought you peanut butter, umbrellas, dr. scholl's gellin' like magellan inserts, and every single one of the internets.