Sunday, March 13, 2005

Alas poor Sammie, I knew him well

WORDS

Sammie died on Friday, the day after we got him.

But with some creative fishie CPR, and some clean burial water, he miraculously resurrected half an hour later. The roomies coined him the Miracle Fish. Not only because of his supernatural recovery, but also because he lives in a Miracle Whip jar.*And no, he wasn't just sleeping.

And I have the proof on home video.** Both the death and resurrection. In fact, I have lots of home video of Sam. And about one million still shots of him.

Because I am obsessed with my fish like that. The Intern likens my relationship to Sammie as that of a new parent and her first born.

Which is why I am slightly upset that Sammie died again last night. Never to be revived. Not that I tried to revive him this time, because, really, it's too traumatic. . . and we can just take his little, lifeless fish body back to the pet store and get another little, life-full fish for free within 30 days of original purchase.

And as luck would have it, before The Littlest Roomie flew back to life in Ontario this morning, and even before Sam bit the bullet again, she gave us a name for a new fish. You know, just in case.

*I don't want to hear anything more about the evils of keeping a fish in a mayonnaise jar, and how they need more space, blah, blah. Sammie was fine in his industrial sized mayo mansion. We followed all the directions that were given to us by the Pet Experts at his former home. And after his second death, I have concluded that he must not be able to handle the kind of food we gave him. 'Cause he died every time he ate. So take that you naysayers!

**Unfortunately, I can't post the videos here because I have no way of uploading them to Blogger. I can email them to you if you so desire. In the meantime, here are some photos.

PHOTOMAGRAPHS: SINCE LAST WE SPOKE


I thought better of putting a picture of a dead fish on the internet, so here is a reenactment instead.


Gasp!


Post-resurrection contemplation


Surprised Sammie and his Pepperidge Farm stunt double.


Back to square one.

~g. mango loves fishes 'cause they're so delicious