Friday, July 22, 2005

On this day in history

My family came to Canada on July 22, 1988.

I was six, my sister was four and wearing a red dress. My parents were apprehensively excited. We left my native land at night, and flew six hours to Canada where our extended family met us.

My cousin, who was also six, handed me a can of Minute Maid orange pop . It took me a second to figure out how to work the sluice that separated my small, tropical, dehydrated self from the bright carbonated beverage. But I finally got the can open

But before it gave up the goods, it bit my lip.

Bloodied and parched, I drank. And to add insult to injury, I had an allergic reaction the orange poison within.

My cuz, he sure knows how to treat a girl.

Happy Anniversary, Mango family!

~onward, upward g. mango had a goat! day by day she tied it with a rope!