Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Comedic Tragedy and Street Drama

The other night when I was walking home from the bus stop I witnessed a the kind of street drama that I'm sure to miss when I move to the Vdot.

Up the street, two men are screaming at each other in front of a house in some unrecognizable oriental dialect. I mean, really going at each other, with high-pitched, girly hurlements and dramatic arm waving. I had no idea what they were actually saying, but using my translatory powers I deduced the following: Guy 1 feels he has been the recipient of some sort of grave injustice; Guy 2 thinks he should suck it up and get the hell off his property.

Guy 1 gets so angry, he jumps into his mid-sized SUV, and starts to back up. Guy 2 screams again and turns to go into his house. Crisis averted? By now I have just walked by the very loud (and volatile) (and amusing) scene and am focused on the Mom and her incredibly cute kid who are walking towards me and the drama.

We hear a loud crash as Guy 1 peels out of the driveway right into the side of a car parked across the street. Guy 2 speeds out of his house. Apparently it is his car. Guy 1 hops out of his vehicle of mass destruction, obviously shaken. He doesn't look like he did it on purpose. G2 is incensed. Screaming ensues. G1 is angrily repentant.

The incredibly cute kid looks around me, spies the scene, and with deep compassion in his voice asks, "Mom, is that car gonna be okay?"


~silly mango, tricks are for kids!