Thursday, November 25, 2004

Die-o-graham

Words


This week started off rough. My first day of work was Monday. It was bad enough that I actually had to get up at an (un)reasonable hour after months of working from home and waking up to the beat of my own drummer. (A drummer, who, might I add, was not permitted to start his wake-up drum session until at least 10 o'clock). But the night before my first day, I did not sleep a wink.

I went to bed early. I prayed. I took deep breaths. I centred my chi. And I tried SO HARD to fall asleep. But I did not.

Not once. Not even for a minute.

Maybe some part of my brain was nervous about starting this job and was jittery, thus keeping me up. However, understanding that I needed to sleep in order to function and ultimately not screw up my entire first day at work, all the other parts of my brain were ready to bludgeon that first part of my brain.

So my first day was long and hard. Second day was great 'cause the other parts of my brain really did bludgeon ol' jittery. But the third day was so painful. Not only because of the two-and-a-half-hour staff meeting, but because my joints were killing me.

Because I am geriatric like that.

I was in so much pain by the time I got home, I almost cried at the dinner table. Fortunately, my Dad came to the rescue with some drug that they use "back home." I don't think I've seen my Dad so concerned for me in a long time. It was cute, he even left one out for me the morning. Like I was a kid, and these bootleg drugs (BDs) were Flinstone's vitamins. Anyway, the BDs worked like a charm.

And also I finally got an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon.

And also I had dinner at Spring Rolls with my fantastic friend Dee who lives in Waterloo. Today was great.

Drawrings


I have created the following illustrations for those of you who are visual learners. Note my true-to-life depiction of myself. . . an anthropomorphized green mango. . . a mottled green kidney.



To sleep, perhaps to dream.


I am in tremendous pain.


Watch me frolic!

~g. mango is artistically declined